Platform Team Lead
Platform Team Lead
Location - Sunderland
tombola is a family owned company which operates the UK's, Spain’s, Italy’s, Sweden’s and Denmark’s biggest on-line bingo website.
Our approach is different to many of our competitors in that we produce all of our games ourselves; in fact, just about every aspect of tombola is managed in-house. We are absolutely committed to building the best possible products for our current and future players.
The future of tombola couldn’t be brighter as we look to build on our existing market-leading presence.
We look for the following from our people:
We are looking for an individual who is proactive, innovative and passionate about software development and is a leader who will support the team in the consistent delivery of content to our market.
You are expected to be organised, with an ability to communicate articulately to a range of different stakeholders and have a proven track record in software development and a passion for people management/development.
While years of development experience is a definite requirement, building a motivated team who deliver exceptional products is at the heart of tombola.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience leading a multi-skilled team in an agile environment that deliver a customer facing web application and associated systems
- Experience working closely with internal business stakeholders and other team leads.
- Excellent broad range of knowledge of common web technologies.
- Experience of developing web applications on a cloud platform that are used by a significant number of concurrent end users in a commercial environment.
- Experience of building quality into web applications. Performance testing, integration testing, unit testing.
- Someone who is always looking to improve what they do using any and all information available to them
While not required, it would be beneficial if you had the following:
- Experience leveraging AWS to deliver scalable and resilient systems
- Experience leading a team of developers (10-12 people) that are split into multiple small agile teams
- Experience managing multiple teams and experience managing managers
- Experience using data to inform decisions
- Experience operating in a regulated environment
What will you do?
This is 100% a hands-off role. You won’t be expected to do any coding. You will:
- Oversee all technical decisions made by your team
- Identify and prioritise any technology challenges that arise
- Make sure your team are engaged and motivated to do their best work
- Own the processes that lead to efficient and reliable delivery and maintenance of the tombola platform
- Be the go-to person for all things platform
- Work with Head of Operations, Product Lead, Game Lead, Engine Lead and Infrastructure Lead to ensure ways of working are collaborative and productive across the whole division
- Be a key member of the group-wide platform function and work with other platform team leads to ensure opportunities and challenges are shared.
- Ensure all changes are documented and recorded
- Work with the Product Management team to prioritise the delivery of value to our player needs.
- Be an advocate of technology innovation in your area
We want an enthusiastic team lead with a proactive attitude and strong team working skills as well as being confident working independently. You must be committed to collaborative problem solving and have an excellent attention to detail.
To be a success in this role you will have:
- Good communication. It sounds clichéd but things like being able to express your ideas clearly, talking to non-technical colleagues and effective feedback during code reviews are incredibly important.
- A desire to learn. tombola do a lot of things other companies don't, so there is a lot to learn. But that's a good thing as we don't want to stand still. We want people who want to improve themselves.
- Suggest improvements. We're constantly looking to improve the way we do things. From managing our workloads, to the way we deliver our code. We have an open attitude to new ideas. If you don’t like the way something is done all we ask is that you suggest a better way of doing it.
- Think of new and unique ways to improve our customers experience. Ultimately that is what tombola is about, giving value to customers. We pride ourselves on delivering quality software solutions efficiently.
- Assess the workload vs. production capacity and ensure team priorities are aligned to business objectives
- Lead and collaborate with the team on the delivery process to ensure content is delivered at speed and quality from your team
- Participate in recruitment planning to ensure there is the necessary talent and resource to contribute to the growth and needs of tombola.
- The direct line management of non-development resource, including test analysts ensuring they feel valued and have goals to work towards.
- Hold performance development reviews to support personal development and professional growth within your team.
- Create a work environment that is motivating for team members and which fosters innovation and solutions for business challenges as we continue to grow.
We offer a competitive salary as well as an amazing HQ, free lunch and snacks, pension, discretionary bonus & private medical to name a few... To check out all of our perks please visit our benefits & perks page.